Old August 15th 05, 02:11 PM
Dennis Neal

Default 'Blind Flying' by Penny

It was heartwarming to read Penny's story.
I spent many years gliding and flew very many disabled
persons, most of whom turned out to be almost human.
I have one vivid memory of flying a partially sighted
man and as was my usual practice I commented on our
height gain at every 250 ft. We reached 2000 ft and
my passenger said this is wonderful, I know we are
in the air and I can see the broken slabs on the pavement.
These were the patchwork ploughed fields below. I did
not disillusion him and he thoroughly enjoyed the flight.

Sadly for me, I have now joined the ranks of the blind
and am registered as partially sighted. I still manage
to struggle with the computer, though. What's new?
Happy landings, everyone, Dennis