Old March 28th 04, 07:56 PM
C J Campbell

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
The guy makes some legitimate points. Most of us would not want an
aerobatic box over our neighborhood either. The pilots involved should

work
out some kind of compromise with the affected homeowners or find a less
sensitive area to practice over. This is starting to sound like an NRA

vs.
gun control controversy where ANY type of control is considered bad

because
of fear of setting a precedent, so that sensible controls are not

possible.

You are quite right, but at this point a compromise is not likely. Neither
is it likely that pilots will find a less sensitive area to practice over.
If you think you know of such an area the pilots would certainly be
interested in knowing about it. I am sure that whoever lives in the less
sensitive area will greatly appreciate your efforts, too.

The real problem lies in concentrating all this activity in a small area in
the first place -- probably at the insistence of those affected by noise.
Concentrating it still further is unlikely to improve the situation.

A better approach might be to get rid of aerobatic boxes entirely and let
pilots practice where they want. That would spread the noise out over a
larger area and be less objectionable over all.

No one is saying that there should be no control whatsoever. What many of us
are saying is that the controls we have in place are at best ineffective and
at worst actually make the problem worse. Since you seem to think that
sensible controls are possible, perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten
the rest of us as to what those sensible controls might be. Then we can have
a sensible debate about whether those sensible controls are really as
sensible as you think they are.