Old July 31st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Default Wi-Fi at OSH

Mike Adams wrote:

So, I'm curious how this new service worked out. Was it free? How was the access from the North 40? I
wasn't there this year, but can see that this would be very handy for email and weather briefings. Then I
suppose the next challenge will be keeping the laptop batteries charged.

Mike

I was camped a few planes down from Jay, along the fence across the road
from Carpet World. I had no problem getting a wi-fi connection to the
EAA hot-spot with my Sony Vaio T350P, which has a built in 802.11g. The
problem was once you did connect, it got incredibly slow at times,
especially when the storms were coming in. Access was excellent at
off-times however. I couldn't see the Hilton or super-8 hot spots from
my airplane, but if I moved in toward the perimeter road on the airport,
I could see both. I did not have success connecting to either though.

The Sony battery is good for up to 9 hours depending on drive use.
"John Smith" was kind enough to buy a Honda 1KW generator and bring it
over for recharging laptops, cell phones and Garmins (thanks "John").
The power strip was fully populated most of the time he had the
generator running.