Old August 2nd 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Wi-Fi at OSH

Interesting. Free doesn't have to mean uncontrolled. The same software that
handles pay-for-use can also be used to throttle free access.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Mike Adams" wrote in message
.. .
"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

It was free. Access from where we were on the N40, approx. due south
of the Hilton was pretty good. The Hilton's wifi was usable, too.

I wasn't there this year, but can see that this would be very
handy for email and weather briefings.

Extremely.

TAFs, METARs and radar being available to everyone camped around us
was much appreciated.

Sounds pretty good. I had an interesting experience last year which maybe
had some small influence. I was walking down the road in the North 40, on
my way to the registration building, when I was offered a ride by a guy,
and it turns out he was a full time EAA staffer and asked me what I would
think about wi-fi at Oshkosh. He said they were planning for it, and were
trying to evaluate capacity and services and whether to charge for it or
make it available for free. Their big concern with a free service was
that it would be overwhelmed with too many users, and it would be hard to
provide good service. OTOH, a paid service would be easier to control and
maybe easier to provide good service. I recall offering the opinion that
free wi-fi is almost an industry expectation anymore - from hotels to
airports it's everywhere. It's cool to see that they've made some
progress on this.

Mike