Old September 6th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default Gooney Bird control panel voltage?

On 9/6/2010 2:07 PM, Pintlar wrote:
Anyone know the voltage that is used for the instruments on a C-47 control
panel?
Specifically for the Artificial Horizon.
in advance, thanks. . .charlie

That depends on which attitude indicator is used. Going from memory
here I believe the originals were vacuum. Since then DC indicators would
have been run off of DC bus and AC indicators would be 115 vac 400hz 3
phase. Then there were remote AI and ADI. One of the drawbacks to
aircraft that old and widely used is there have been many changes in
systems. I don't recall if USAAF/USAF and Navy aircraft even used the
same AI. I have seen USN and USAF aircraft of the same series with
different instruments for the same function.

To give you an idea what you are up against I used to work on T-33
instruments systems in the 1970s. The tech data covered several
variations in front and rear instrument panels. That's just the USAF
version.

If you have the part number or type designation a web search can
help. My personal experience when asking manufacturers for pin outs
usually results in "we will be happy to sell you a manual for $750."

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired