Old March 20th 04, 04:36 PM
BHelman

How funny, I think you must be reading a different story all together.

You said "inconsistent explanations coming from Surecheck with
regard to the issue."

They said just the opposite. Here is a direct quote from Aviation
Consumer reagarding the altimeter issue.

"The SureCheck's local altimetry
source is a definite plus. If the
Monroy has a problem with your
transponder code, it simply
displays IDENT and doesn't
display any traffic. The SureCheck
switches to its internal altimetry
source and keeps on working"

"Monroy mentions the Mode-A
altitude confusion problem as
well, but the ATD-300 simply
displays the word IDENT on the
display when it sees a questionable
code. The manual explains
that hitting the transponder's
ident button will clear the condition.
Of course, ATC may not find
your spurious ident amusing,
especially if they've just asked
another aircraft to do the same.
And when we attempted to clear
the condition using the ident
button, the fix didn't seem to last
more than a few minutes."

The only edge they even mention for the Monroy is price and display,
but not functionality. Performance wise they clearly state the Monroy
did not perform as well, but is cheaper too.

"Recommendations
For the price—$800 to $1200
depending on which unit you
select—the portables strike us as
cheap insurance against a mid-air
collision or near miss.
But you get what you pay for."

So if you want a cheap traffic box that will have altitude errors, ATD
is the way to go for the price, if you want accurate altitude which
more features, trafficscope is the way to go.

Their LAST and ENDING consclusion states clearly. And, yes this is
word for word.

"If that capability is important to
you or you can't run on ship's
power alone, the SureCheck
TrafficScope is the better choice, in
our view. In any case, we think
SureCheck deserves kudos for
dramatically improving its
product over the previous iteration
and we give the company
high marks for much improved
customer and technical support."

Sometimes you have to read beyond the titles.

And while you are obviously entitled to your opinions, I suggest you
purchase a copy and read it all the way through, not just the front
page headlines.

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
BHelman,

I am not sure why they say Monroy has any
edge in the title, because throughout the review it refers to Monroy
having many problems coping with altitude issues.

No, that's not true. They explain quite well why they think the Monroy
has the edge. And they explain the potential altitude issue as well -
including all the inconsistent explanations coming from Surecheck with
regard to the issue.

The end says that
the more reliable unit is the trafficscope which I agree. They touch
on the many features that trafficscope has that the monroy does not.

No, the end doesn't say that AT ALL. The end says that the Monroy
performed better at detecting traffic. And while they acknowledged that
the Surecheck has more features, they also questioned how useful all
those features would be. E.g., they liked the simplicity of the Monroy
display better.

Again, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, please don't
misquote AvCon to support it. People here might actually believe you.