Old August 1st 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Chachie

Default Helicopter School / whats in a name

Hi there I am about to embark on a new career as a helicopter pilot. I
have taken a couple of lessons and have found that I love it, and
want to do it for the rest of my life. I am 24 and newly married to a
wonderful woman who is ready to take on this adventure with me. I have
a few questions that I need answered for me to make the final decision
to do this.

1) Is there any room in the helo business for civilian pilots. From
what I have heard its heavy on the X-military side. Can I make it as
a civilian pilot?

2) Is it better to get my license from a well known school or a
smaller school. The school I found here in Chicago has some great
instructors, enough choppers, and a great atmosphere. Is that good
enough, or do I have a better chance at another school.

3) When I am done with my flight school, and have all 5 flight
ratings, how do I get my 1000 min hours to start a job?
I have talked to people and most of them said "become an instructor
and teach till you have enough pilot in command time.
Is there a better way? What about to get turbine time?

4) When I am done with school I will have to start paying back the
lone I took out to fund this. Will I be making enough as a
Instructor, or whatever I do to make my hours, to be able to pay
regular bills and start paying off the loan, or does my wife need to
be working 2x as hard during that time?

5) From what you have experienced, where is the best place to get a
loan for what I need. I have found a few places with a SLM loan from
Salliemae being on top. Any advice on where else to look?

5) What is some advice you could give me that would help me on my
journey, and career?
aka "if I could do this again, I would do ______"

I really do appreciate all who post comments on this. I am really
excited and ready to get started. I know it will take a lot of work,
but I am ready and dedicated to do what it takes.

Thanks, Aaron