Old August 25th 04, 04:44 PM
Walter Ellison

Pilotage and ded reckoning have always been emphasized by my CFI's and when
I had an electrical failure in a Sundowner in IMC I was glad that it had
been so emphasized. Another pilot and I had taken a Saturday trip. When we
were returning the electrical bus failed. After flying triangles for a few
minutes, I climbed on top of a solid cloud layer, flew northeast toward the
front (we had taken the time to understand the weather picture before we
took off) where we found broken and then scattered clouds, descended and,
with a ded reckoning guesstimate of where we were and use of our VFR charts
and pilotage, navigated to the Morristown NJ airport and landed safely.

Frankly, this line of comments concerns me.

Walt Ellison, CP-AS/MEL-I

"Alan Gerber" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.student vincent p. norris wrote:
I'm not an instructor, but it's my impression that students are no
longer taught dead reckoning or pilotage.

I don't know about other students, but I'm certaily learning about them.
We're just starting cross-countries, and we're starting with pilotage.

My CFI specifically told me we're not even going to use VORs at first, to
make sure I actually look outside.

--
Alan Gerber
gerber AT panix DOT com