Old November 22nd 04, 07:18 PM
Peter MacPherson

Congrats on your checkride.

Pete

"Nicholas Kliewer" wrote in message
I am filling out my FAA Application for my instrument
checkride and had a couple of questions:

1) I am going for a private/single engine/instrument,
do I check all three blocks at the top? Or just the
instrument? Or just the SE and instrument?

2) What is the difference between:
Solo & PIC
Cross Country Solo : Cross country PIC
Night takeoff/landing : Night takeoff/landing PIC

The for night takeoff/landing. Is that supposed to
be time spent in the pattern at night? Does it include
night X-C time if I was the one to land the plane?

Does all of the time I have received dual at night
count for Night Instruction received even if I was
doing it under the hood and the instruction wasn't
necessarily "night" related? And for that matter,
does all the time that I had XC with my instructor
count as "Cross country instruction received?"

What I guess is that "solo" time means when you are
not receiving dual.

I am surprised that the FAA doesn't have this in their
FAQ.

Peter MacPherson wrote:

You should go over this with your instructor. He needs to sign the
8710 anyway. I go over all of this with each student so there is
no confusion.

The problem was that my instructor and I disagreed on what should be
in the "night take-off and landing" columns. He wanted me to put
total number of night landings -- where I thought it should be hours
of time spent doing night flight where I was the PIC landing pilot.
I just acquiesced -- due to receiving no response here, from the FDSO,
and finding nothing on the FAA website.

I guess it was OK though. I took and passed my IA checkride!