Old February 8th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

We will see people hiking on peaks/trails while ridge soaring etc. in the USA, obviously population density is often less than in parts of the UK. However at a ski resort like Heavenly there are potentially thousands of people on the slopes and multiple obstructions including chair lift, gondola and power lines.

AFAIK there are no details of the claimed low flights that occurred days before, except the complaints from the public that were posted as a comment on some news reports. And everybody's idea of what "low" or "close" may vary.. However I agree with Guy. It would be irresponsible for any pilot to push the boundaries of "closeness" over such a populated and potentially hazardous region such as Heavenly Ski resort. Now whether that has really been happening in the past, or was a factor on this flight, and how close etc. I don't think we really know.

I have flown that area several times, including ridge soaring further away from the resort, and only in late spring/summer months. As both a Tahoe area skier and a glider pilot (who really does not get to fly this area anymore) I am very dissapointed at the apparent poor judgement that led to landing on this typically busy beginners ski-run, thankful nobody on the ground was injured or killed. I am dismayed why either KTVL airport or the local golf course were not used instead.

Darryl