Old August 8th 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 2:42:39 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
That is why all the operators will make sure the tow pilots know it is important tow the 2-32 at the correct speed. “Tow me at the same speed as you tow the 2-32”. If anything you will ask the tug to slow down

Not too many 2-32s outside the USA (too bad - love that glider). As far as Pawnees, expect (again, in the US) it to have an airspeed indicator in MPH (or perhaps a dual-scale ASI), so give him your tow speed in MPH, regardless of what you have in your glider. Better for him to tow you in MPH numbers on a Knots ASI than the reverse!

And if the Pawnee about to tow you in your 11 psf waterlogged glass ship has one notch of flaps down - don't hook up until he brings them up! That's only needed for 1-26s and K-13s (lets a Pawnee tow nicely at 65-70 mph) and a possible sign that the tuggie is not quite on the ball...

Pawnee statics = cockpit static, usually. Airspeed a bit lower and altitude a bit higher in my experience, but not by much (5 mph / 100 ft)

Kirk