Old August 9th 18, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default Forum for new Glider Pilots

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 8:52:29 AM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 8:19:44 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Good advice about a mentor.Â*

snipped
Ask questions as much as you can.Â*

snipped

Read, observe, and ask questions, and then, snipped

Â*
It'll change your life.

On 8/8/2018 11:51 PM, 2G wrote:
This forum is SUPPOSED to be about that, but degenerates into back-biting all to often.

snipped

I'm sure I could ask him my same questions; but figured asking the masses would likely lead to more insight. With the responsiveness of this aviation group, this might be my best bet. Coincidentally, when I was working on my PPL over 10 years ago, I used rec.aviation.piloting, and found it to be a good place for insight.

I am glad you joined SSA. SSA is a huge resource, often under-utilized.

I checked and found you are near me, and associated with a club with a strong training program. Feel free to read EVERYTHING on r.a.s. but then check it with your CFIG members for validity. As a pilot already, you have been through the drill of finding a CFI who makes good sense to you, and charts you a course for steady progress. There is no one-way fits-all path to a glider pilot certificate.

SSA has been hosting webinars this summer to address some of your topics of curiosity. These programs are archived on their web site. You can play them back for free an unlimited number of times.
http://www.ssa.org/MyHome.asp?mbr=8772546648

Also, the Weather Task Force/Committee has a page with tutorials and links. http://www.ssa.org/SoaringWeather

Those links address the topics about which you inquired. A couple folks have offered mentoring. As a long-time CFIG, and former SSA Director, I am a resource also. Keep learning and enjoy soaring. Welcome !

Cindy B
Mojave, CA