View Single Post
Old August 11th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker
external usenet poster

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:37:05 PM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 5:22:54 PM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?

You have to arrive at your own balance of risk and reward. Most folks that I know didn't wear parachutes during training. They generally started wearing them when they bought their own gliders and started doing flying with more risk exposure like contests or cross-country soaring.

I do remember one man who did wear a parachute while doing primary training in 2-33s. At the time I found it odd. Now I respect that he arrived at his own balance point of risk and reward and proceeded accordingly.

If you look around, you can find used parachutes for under $1000. If in any doubt, have it inspected by a master rigger before completing the purchase.

Thanks, Bob K.

Do you know of any place I could peruse classifieds for this? I'd personally rather error on the side of caution. I dont really care too much if people think its nerdy.