View Single Post
Old August 12th 20, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default Speed of a vario

On Wednesday, 12 August 2020 at 01:53:16 UTC+3, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:45:19 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
There is no right or wrong here. I have my inertial variometer tc is set to 1 sec, electrical to 5 sec, and mechanical somewhere between. They have all different settings, because way of measuring signal is profoundly different between instruments.

Interesting. There may be no right or wrong, but what's the best way to use the instruments when you set the three of them differently this way, in your opinion? i.e. how do you get good useful info out of them, so that they don't just add instrument confusion?

TC between instruments is set according to their capability to measure reliable variometer data. Inertial variometer does not see the pitot-static errors, thus very fast tc. A good mechanical variometer is almost always best traditional way of showing TE signal, but is affected by gusts, thus couple of sec tc. Electrical variometer can be at best as good as (good) mechanical, but usually not. Mine is set up to show kind of "fast average" of thermal, thus 5 sec tc. I wan't to setup the instruments to complement their strength and hide the weaknesses. No reason to tune them to show identical signal (which is impossible with three different ways of doing things).