Old October 17th 03, 06:29 PM
redc1c4

Mike Marron wrote:

Training [in jet fighters] was hectic in those [early] days. The Air
Force took in twice as many trainees as they graduated. The attrition
rate was high. The purpose was to rush as many trained pilots to Korea
as possible to bolster the undermanned units fighting there. A
fatality a week was common at Nellis during our training. However, the
system worked and the squadrons in Korea finally came up to authorized
strength.

I left late in December for assignment to the 51st Fighter Interceptor
Wing at Suwon, K-13, about 20 miles south of Seoul. To my pleasant
surprise, cousin Earl was assigned there about a week later. We were
both assigned to the 39th Squadron, Earl to 'C' Flight, commanded by
1/Lt. Hal Fischer; and I went to 'D' Flight, commanded by l/Lt. Joe
McConnell, 'Mac' to his friends. At that time, Fischer already had
three kills, Mac had none.

(snip interesting stuff)

you left out the part about P-38's!

redc1c4,