Old June 4th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default AV gas prices

Ernest Christley wrote:
wrote:

I'm going to get some 10% Ethanol Supreme and put one of my A/C
quality fuel lines in it and let it soak.

It takes time. You might run several years without problems. My Deb
has bladder tanks (Neoprene impregnated canvas I believe) they would
not stand up. The tip tanks are bare fiberglass and resin. They too
dislike Alcohol.

However the big Continental needs 100 octane.

Jim Maher ran auto-gas in his rotary powered Dyke Delta. Cranked the
engine once a month in the years that he was finishing the rest of the
plane. First flight went without a hitch. First few hours with no
problem. The he lost partial power in flight. Luckily near his home
airport. He couldn't maintain altitude, but he had time. Took it home
safely.

On inspection, the fiberglass fuel tank flaked apart and crumpled like
paper. I wasn't there. I haven't seen it. But Jim isn't the sort to
lie about these sort of things.

I believe he said he used Aeropoxy (though, don't hold me to that one).

Most epoxies will do that.

That's why vinyl ester is recommended for fuel tanks.

Some chemical resistance info he
http://www.epoxy.com/vester.htm

Lots more he
http://www.derakane.com/derakaneCont...comend ations