Old October 9th 17, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Tow Pilot Killed at Skyline

The tow began very normally with a
st=
udent and instructor on board. At ~300 ft, they released (I haven't

spoken
=
with them so I won't speculate on what they saw) after sensing

there was
an=
issue and executed a rope break to a safe landing. The towplane

continued
=
descending with no apparent reaction until it hit the ground and
immediatel=
y caught fire. (Described as a movie like explosion at impact) The
incident=
was partially recorded on a GoPro in the glider and the Pawnee

had a TOST
=
reel (with a guillotine and weak link.)

Best,
JP

Personally, I have lost two very experienced (though older) good
friends who had extreme / sudden medical incapacitations at low
altitude on take-of while flying solo. Let the NTSB do their work,
and we'll all find out in due time. I'm sure that the GoPro footage
will prove very useful in the investigation.

RO