Old August 15th 03, 02:02 PM
Judah

I landed at about 11pm, and I'll tell you - it was rather spooky!

Somewhere between Oxford (OXC) and Danbury (DXR) the pretty house lights
interspersed between the trees were mostly gone, and all there was were an
occassional building with a generator (presumably) and some cars on 684...

It was a clear night, with a full moon, so you could see the various
terrain in the shadows... The landing lights worked (but the rabbit and
beacon were out) but once on the ground, it took a minute to orient myself
and figure out where my FBO (Panorama) was - because the entire line of
FBOs along the left were just plain dark...

After I made my way to Panorama, which is usually nicely lit up by a
series of light poles in the tiedown area, a couple of line guys ran out
with flashlights to guide me to a parking spot, and one hopped into the
gas truck to give us all light for pushing back and tying down the plane.

All in all, I am glad I flew home instead of drove...

Tom Fleischman wrote in
rthlink.net:

I was returning this afternoon from the first flight that I've been
able to make since the end of July due to a busy work schedule and the
Omega Block low clouds and daily strong thunderstorms we've been
experiencing here in the New York area for the past few weeks. So after
I landed and buttoned down the aircraft I got into my car and
discovered that the entire eastern coast was blacked out.

It's interesting becasue there was absolutely no indication of any
trouble either with navaids or ATC while I was approaching HPN. I was
certainly talking to NY TRACON and Westchester Tower at the time of the
power failure but no said boo, It was a perfectly normal landing and I
had no idea anything had happened until I turned on my car radio.

I guess the system worked.