Old May 6th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default R-22 vs Mosquito

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 14:48:38 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

I've heard for sometime that the R-22 is harder to fly than the little
ultralite Mosquito. This past week end I took a 1/2 hr ride in an R-22.
In
my opinion the cyclic in the R-22 with its lack of feel or any kind of
force
feedback is at least an order of magnitude more difficult to adjust to
than
the Mosquito. Had I tried to lift the R-22 off the grass without the
benefit of an instructor, I would probably have rolled it. On the other
hand I have soloed two versions of the Mosquito with no trouble. I think
agree with the wags that claim if you can fly the R-22 you can fly
anything.
It took me about 10 minutes before the instructor felt like leaving his
hand
off the cyclic. I now have some stick time in several versions of the Bell
47s, a Brantly, 300CB, several different Safaris, two different Mosquitos,
Huey UH-1N and the Hummingbird. To date my pecking order in ease of
flight
would start with the Huey, then the Mosquito, then the Brantly, then a
toss
up with the Safaris and the Hummingbird, The Bells and the 300CB and
certainly last the R-22.
I did like the governor tho.

Perhaps you're just not cut out to be a helicopter pilot and as such,
should give me the Baby Belle so it just doesn't sit and collect
dust...

Kevin: I am taking your suggestion under consideration. However, I'm kind
of slow in digging some of the suggestions out of the consideration box.
Yours may take a considerable amount of considering.
Stu