Old May 7th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default R-22 vs Mosquito

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 6 May 2008 18:07:46 -0500, "Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net
wrote:

As simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable as governors are, I can't
believe the are not included on every rotorcraft. It's just makes too much
sense.

The correlator on the Robbies is pretty good.. Flying with the gov
off isn't a whole lot different than with it on...

One of the Schweizers I fly has a HORRIBLE correlator and you MUST be
good on the throttle to fly this particualr one smoothly.

One bad thing about governors, as witnessed in the turbine pilots trying to
fly a non governed ship, is if the governor fails, hey sometimes electronics
do fail, you have a real problem if you haven't practiced flying without it
and how many practice lazy pilots are out there?
All that said, I would like to have a governor when the workload gets high
like formation flying for photos, chasing coyotes at low altitude etc.
I didn't try flying the R-22 sans governor. I was having all the fun that I
wanted trying to adapt to the cyclic. The instructor, trying to be a nice
guy, told some stories about ex military pilots checking out in an R-22 and
using up quite a few hours. It did make me feel a little better.

Stu