Old May 30th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Which hand on the stick? (was Left handed GIII)

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message

On 2008-05-29, Greg Siemon wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with this configuration? Seems that you
would be switching back and forth on the stick to operate the throttles
and the radios. Any input would be appreciated.

Ever notice that your instructor (given a side-by-side configuration) is
able to fly either side? After a short period of adjustment, you get used
to flying with either hand on the stick (wheel). The key, as always, is
to be ahead of your aircraft. You shouldn't be so far behind that you
need to fly by knee-jerk reaction - but by well thought-out actions. Even
a fighter pilot's brain is working on the next move.

Rich S.

Just going to say that Richard, as an instructor I fly both sides and do
not find it a problem either way. I am left handed and fly my RV-6
with left hand but if I get into a RV-8 or equivalent that has throttle on
left side it still seems natural to fly with right hand on control stick.
As others have said it only takes a few minutes to get used to either way.

Jerry

I sometimes do instruction in gliders for airplane pilots seeking a glider
rating. Gliders have sticks with the spoiler/flaps/trim/rope release on the
left. Transition pilots have to learn formation flying in order to follow
the tow plane - flying with their right hand so the rope release is handy
with their left.

This seems to give some people trouble. It took a while for CFI-glider
types to figure out that part of the problem was that many transition pilots
were not used to flying with their right hand - especially in a demanding
situation like aero tow. It takes a bit longer than most expect but they
eventually get it.

Bill D