Old December 17th 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Bad medical examiner postcript

Dr. Scott jokes, "flying, huh? So, you have some extra money
you don't need? How about giving it to me?" I explain to him that I
am getting my medical to make sure there are no issues before I spend
the time and money in flight training.
[...] I pass the medical, but never receive my certificate...

March 2005: After weeks of trying to find out why I don't have my
certificate, without explanation, I am told by his office assistant to
come in and pick it up, which I do. I start flight training.

There is a legal principle called "detrimental reliance", which holds
that if you reasonably rely on somebody's actions, to your detriment,
they are responsible for the harm. You relied on your AME's examination
and the certificate he presented you, to your detriment (the cost of
flight traning), and their actions were in error (you do not have a
valid certificate, and apparantly never did).

According to this legal principle, they are responsible for your costs.

I am not a lawyer, but I have heard of them. It might be worth an
appointment.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.