Old November 14th 03, 08:38 AM
B2431

From: "Pete"

"B2431" wrote

Next time you are in the Ft. Eustis VA area go look at the saucer shaped
aircraft (Avro?) they have. It could carry 2 men, hover all of 2 or 3 feet

off
the ground and manoeuver rather nicely. Other than low hover it could not

fly
and wobbled a lot. Unlike the Nazi ideas this saucer WAS built and proved

how
complicated things really were. The downward ducted fan concept has been

tried
several times and not one vehicle had the performance to justify

proceeding to
an operational prototype.

I've seen that beast. Looks evil to ride.

Pete

I have seen films of it in operation. It wobbles.

Last time I was in the museum at Ft. Useless, early 1980s, they had a few
really loony devices. The strangest has to be the one man helicopter where the
guy had to stand on a platform ABOVE the rotors.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired