Old May 8th 04, 02:21 PM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 7 May 2004 21:58:59 -0400, "Piperflyer"
wrote:

Liberty XL2 has the Continetal IOF 240 with FADEC. Would the engine run if
the batteries failed? It does not have a magneto. Would the ignition system
run off of the alternator? The salesman at Sun-n-fun had no clue. Does
anyone know?

FADEC and LASAR systems have small computers that control the timing
and in the case of FADEC, mixture. These computers must have a source
of voltage to run.

Having said that, I know the mags in the LASAR system can fall back
and run like a standard magneto if the LASAR system goes down. This
allows the plane to complete the flight after an electrical failure.

Not sure about the FADEC, but I have a hard time believing the FAA
would certify an engine that fails b/c of an electrical failure. At a
minimum, I expect that FADEC engines would require a backup battery
system to run the FADEC. I searched the Continental website and found
the following, article, which indicates a FADEC system ran for 'two
hours after primary power failure'. The article leaves out a lot of
details, like how the two hours of flight were achieved (ie secondary
battery system, or mag-like fallback).

http://www.tcmlink.com/pressreleases/august191999.html

-Nathan