Old August 27th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default 2nd airplane

On Aug 26, 7:56 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
Based on a posting by newps, I started thinking about what the perfect
2nd airplane should be assuming the 1st aircraft was purchased for
longer all-weather cross-countries. In other words, if the first
aircraft was a Navion, or Bonanza, or even a Sierra or Arrow (newer
aircraft excluded because we want to be able to afford a 2nd bird) then
what would I want for a puddle-jumper.

Personally, I'm partial to aircraft with the 3rd wheel on the right end
of the airframe so an O-1 Birddog comes to mind, but even a C-120 or
C-140 might be a lot of fun.

I'm in the same situation. My primary plane is a Mooney, with known-
ice-and turbo that's about as all-weather at GA gets. For a secondary
plane I was originally looking at an Aeronca Champ but realized that
some champs go for $30K and the rest are junk (i.e. need wings
rebuilt, etc, most do not feel the spar AD requirements but somehow
gets signed off every year). I'm also thinkihng C-140. I learned to
fly in a C-140 and my boys are just a few years away from being old
enough to solo and I thought a C-140 would be an easy plane for them
to solo in.

-Robert