Old September 14th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wally the Squirrel

Default Right down among the trees...

Both planes are still working. The Hawaii Mars has been fighting fires in
the U.S. due to a relatively calm fire season in British Columbia.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/aug...early-visitor/

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 7:26 am, "WestCDA" wrote:
That is the Hawaii Mars, one of two remaining Martin Mars aircraft
operated
by Coulson Flying Tankers of Port Alberni, British Columbia. The other is
the Philipine Mars.

There were only four every built. Of the original Martin Mars aircraft,
the
Marianas Mars was lost while firefighting in 1961 and the Carolina Mars by
hurricane in 1962.

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote

That's the last remaining Martin Mars - used as a waterbomber for
fighting forest fires. Could be picking up a load rather than landing.

I saw a program on the company that used them, a couple years ago, and I
swear that I remembered they had the last _TWO_.

Did something happen to one of them, or am I imagining things, (again?)
g and they have always just had one?
--
Jim in NC- Hide quoted text -

Is the Hawaii one the one the Forest Service effectively took out of
service last year due to its age? Well, not 'took out of service'
they just wouldn't renew the contract to flight fires for them. That
one was homeported in Washington State. It was an old amphib but I
don't recall if it was a 'Mars'.

Harry K