Old September 24th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default TRIG TT21 Transponders

On Sep 23, 8:48*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sep 23, 7:42*pm, Richard wrote:
[snip]

Two units, *4 Panel screws, 1 static connection, 1 cable.
I will admit the trig unit is lighter.
I have had no problems with the length of either Microair or Becker
panel units. *Becker are longer than the Microair.
The odd shape of the compact version (that all seem to be selling).
IMHO is much harder to cut in either aluminum or fiberglass than a
round hole. Not to mention the weird screw measurements. If you want a
professional installation the hole for the Trig compact version is not
round and you would have thru holes to your panel back with a round
57mm hole. I don't see anything that makes it easier except the
weight.

Input Voltages
Just because you haven't seen any problems doesn't mean there aren't
any. When a manufacturer states a minimul voltage, I would error on
the side of believing the statement.

Spec sheets are generally marketing devices. *Mine is better than
yours.

Warranty:
I would not consider YouTube a definitive warranty statement. *That is
in the manual you receive with the unit. *The warranty appearst to be
pretty standard.

Swapping transponders for transponders with the same issues is not
effective, nor a realistic warranty scheme.
I know that Becker and Microair went through several design changes to
get it correct. *They were not immediate and some it appears required
recertification of the units.

Trig also says they have a internal encoder heater circuit. *Is this
included in their performance specs for the power draw? *Maybe not as
they say typical on their power specs. *Cold may not be typical.

My customers have had generally good experiences with both Becker and
Microair transponders especially in the last several years.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Richard

We get this is new technology. There is risk in that. No argument. And
I expect any early adopters having problems will speak up. So putting
aside it is new and that is a risk you seem determined to keep
bringing up FUD.

So you raise new FUD about mounting holes. The TT21 will install in
standard 57mm mounting holes with the standard screw locations *or* in
the more compact hole with different screw locations. The choice is up
to the installer. That is wonderful flexibility. All this is clearly
explained in the installation manual.

The Trig units are smaller and lighter. The RF unit (144mmx62mmx45mm)
is roughly the sames size as an ACK A-30 encoder (152mmx67mmx33mm),
let alone the entire body of a Becker or similar transponder. Of
course since you don't need the A-30 encoder anymore that also
simplifies the installation. I've seen depth behind the panel be quite
an issue on installations, especially in pedestal mount panels like
the DG-300, etc. where transponders like the Becker will not fit in
the lower factory instrument holes and still clear the sides of the
pedestal. Even if there is space being able to remote mount the RF
unit is goodness. Routing the RF cable up though the the factory
installed shrinkwrap hell in the plenum behind the panel in many
Schliecher gliders is a pain. And if done poorly can lead to connector
or cable failure from the flexing when the panel is raised and
lowered. Remote mounting the RF box in these gliders completely
eliminates any RF cable flex issues. If all the gliders you work on
have no panel space or space behind the panel issues or problems
feeding RF cables then you are very lucky. Congratulations. For the
rest of us the news that transponders are getting more compact and
flexible in their installation is all goodness.

Again you seem to be speculating the power specs that Trig provide
must be inaccurate or don't include important components like the
encoder heater. I have no idea why you believe this. I would expect
they include the typical total load including any encoder effects. If
somebody wants to send me a TT21 I'll be happy to throw it in my
freezer and measure its encoder power performance vs. temperature.

Those folks selling the TT21 might be able to clarify the USA warranty
situation.

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

Darryl

As with most things if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

New Company
First new product
Price 40% lower than competition
Better Specifications than competition

If it all works out, I agree with an eariler post "this is a game
changer"

I will sell the TRIG and add to my website by at least Tuesday 2012.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com