Old October 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
Roy Smith

" wrote:
I want out to play last week. I requested clearance from EMT to RAL
for ILS to rwy 9. Shortly after I was level at 4000, I was cleared to
intercept localizer. As I tracked localizer, the glideslope started
down and I started down with it. At 3,700, ATC called to ask me to
remain 4000. I climbed back to 4000 and about 30 seconds later, was
cleared to decent.

I did not think about it at the time, but does clear to intercept
localizer mean I cannot decent until I am clear to decent? BTW, the
glideslope was functioning.

An approach clearance lets you descend to the altitudes published on the
approach plate. A clearance to intercept the localizer is not an approach
clearance, so you can't descend yet.

That being said, it's strange that you would get to GS Intercept and not be
cleared for the approach yet. As I noticed the GS starting to come off the
top peg, I would have asked the controller if I was cleared approach yet.
If not (or I didn't get a response), I would continue to track the
localizer at my last assigned altitude.

If, as you said, you were not cleared to descend until more than 30 seconds
past GS intercept, I would have refused the approach clearance and
requested vectors back around for another try. Divebombing to intercept
the GS from above is not a good plan.