Old June 23rd 18, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default When gliders fail in flight, but pilots manage to land

The list is long and varied........

Way back when, I used to try patterns (at altitude) with no elevator, just use flaps and slips (ASW-20A, manual elevator connect) "just in case" we forgot to connect the elevator.
I have done other, "WTF attempts" in various gliders, all at altitude.

Better to try all sorts of "stupid stuff" at altitude with a high chance of recovery rather than in the pattern.

How about this.....thinking you dumped all water from a ASW-20C, going into a farmers field, things seem wrong, revert to....."does it look right, does it sound right, does it feel right....if no....FRIKKIN fix it!".
I did that in PA once.
Thought water was dumped (we had worked on dump valve the night before), so, fell off the ridge and landed shortly thereafter.
If I went by the book, never would have made the field.
It didn't feel right, so I sped up.
Found a full load of water when I went to derig later.

Yes, good to do "what if's" at altitude (thinking benign spiral when IFR), but you're limited on possible "crap happens" ideas.