Old January 26th 04, 11:56 PM
rds

"larsen-tools" wrote in message
news:xbgRb.4176$F15.1350@fed1read06...

I'm trying to figure out the "priming problem."

2- use Alumiprep #32
3- use Alodine #1201

In my neck of the woods, alumiprep and alodine are problems - not easy to
dispose of and I live near a stream and I do not want this stuff anywhere
near the town water supply. So, cleanup is the problem. This is what I use
as an alternative:

1. Wipe clean with rag and a spray bottle with PPG DX-330
2. Scuff with 3M pads
3. Clean again with rag and PPG DX-330
4. Spray a light coat of PPG DX-1791/1792
5. For steel parts I'll also lay out some PPG DL-LF epoxy primer on top of
the DX-1791/1792.

That way, cleanup is limited to whatver is left in the pot and is easily
contained.

Forget about getting a clear answer from anyone regarding primer. You're on
your own unfortunately - there is no right or wrong way to do it, although
there are better or worse ways. With benefits and disadvantages. You'll get
the picture the more you dig into this subject... just do whatever suits
your concience and circumstances.

I think the only sure thing about this topic is that steel MUST have some
sort of corrosion protection. All else is a choice.