Old September 10th 03, 01:14 PM
Roy Smith

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote:
YIKES! I didn't see that... This leads to another question. I thought
that if an item of equipment was required that it appeared as part of the
approach plate description, such as; LOC DME 29 ????

I believe it only gets into the approach title if it's required as the
primary navaid (i.e. something you need to fly the final approach
course). So, a LOC 29 would only be called a LOC DME 29 if you needed
DME to locate the FAF or MAP. If you can fly the approach itself
without DME, and only need DME to fly the missed, then it gets a "DME
required" note. I may be messing up a few details, but that's the gist
of it.

As far as your "YIKES! I didn't see that..." comment, that's the reason
why it's a bad idea to ad-lib approaches. Often times there will be a
note or restriction on an approach plate that appears to make no sense,
and it's very temping to just ignore it. Sometimes, you won't figure
out what the reason was until it's too late to do much about it.