Old April 5th 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Lane, please don't get me wrong, I think Glideport.aero is AWESOME! That said it probably needs some improvement. I think the SSA should be funding that and providing more value to its customers. Sadly, it's just not being used and this is due to the hardware.

Our issue is that the smartphone apps have reliability challenges and that the mobile network carrier limitations leave us significant holes in coverage, especially out west and/or higher altitude. The position of the phone in the glider is an issue as are quarks with various devices, etc. Even Florida last week, over the swamp, getting the mobile trackers to work well was a challenge. Yes, my Glidetrack app (iOS) still won't work and I have no idea why. I was able to help others, but mine was kaput.

I believe that the SSA has a golden opportunity (and responsibility) to do more for its members (see Gliding Federation Australia & other countries) in terms of tracking than they are doing now. So far, the SSA tracking story has been mainly Pedja and Lane's effort. It's been one of the best values of my SSA membership to be honest. But the SSA itself has not really put any real skin in the game (I don't believe Pedja or Lane are compensated). Perhaps I am mistaken. The SSA tends to follow the path of least resistance and zero cost when it comes to vision. See SSA website. Whatever the answer, the SSA needs to continue to invest in improving tracking.

To provide its members real value, the SSA should be making serious efforts to negotiate a service deal with Garmin/InReach. Better yet, the SSA could contract Pedja and Lane to build 500 Glideport.aero mobile tracker units, custom designed for our specific needs.. In either case, I fully believe Glideport.aero is a great display framework and works extremely well. But it all needs regular care and feeding, enhancement and real investment (skin). Nothing is free.

So, my concern is not Glideport.aero. My concern is that no existing tracker product which currently feeds Glideport.aero (Spot, InReach, mobile app, Flarm, others) 'tics all the boxes' and some come with moderately high ($40 per month) service/data costs. I'm also concerned about adoption. Most SSA contest managers don't even bother to load their daily tasks into Glideport.aero.

My goal (sadly, this should be the SSAs goal) is to find a consistent, reliable, simple to use, and affordable tracker for the entire SSA membership which is high fidelity enough to be enjoyable to follow on Glideport.aero. Contests, clubs, cross country flyers, etc.

Thanks Lane and Pedja for all you do and have done for Glideport.aero. I'm advocating for much more support, attention and investment in your great platform and ending the neglect that I feel your great platform is currently receiving.