Old March 23rd 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie

Default Growth in soaring

Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:11:16 +0000 (UTC),
(Michel Talon) wrote:

Sincerely i don't know. At" Moret sur Loing" (CVVFR) there is absolutely
nobody employed, so this cannot be the explanation of the numbers i have
shown.

Hmmm...

As far as i know, an important part of the budget goes into
building provisions to buy new gliders.

... the same here...

If you want to maintain your
fleet in reasonably current state, you have to regularly sell old
gliders and buy new ones, which are of course more expensive than the old
ones you sold.

Yes. But that's manageable, too.

So you have to introduce an input stream of cash, or you
have to borrow money, which means paying twice the amount you would have
paid if you had made economies.

In my club the members (instead of a bank) award low-interest loans
to the club - this works extremely well.

As far as i know the people running the
CVVFR were very conscious of this necessity, and have always made
provisions. Of course one accident, broken glider, etc. ruins part of
these provisions.

Hmmm... no insurances?
The major part of my club's income goes directly to the physical
damage insurance - each of our gliders is insured.

I think an important factor is also the question of
towing. If you have planes, first towing fees introduce an important
burden for users, but also for the club, periodic visits are very
expensive, etc. But the clubs i know are not in a position to use
winches because the airfields are too small.

Indeed - aerotows are a major factor that makes gliding expensive (not
only in France...), but I've seen many hige French airfields that
could have have easily coped with winch operations.
Soissons even had a winch, but never used (and eventually sold) it.

How does airfield ownership/rental affect the situation in Germany and
France?

In the UK club two-seat insurance has rocketed over the last couple of
years to the point that my club can no longer afford to operate our T.21
- its the third party cover, not the hull insurance, that's hit clubs
here. The T.21 is of course worth nothing but, as its only flown on nice
summer days its 3rd party insurance rate per hour is huge.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK