View Single Post
Old November 19th 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:47:34 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:26:51 PM UTC-8, RR wrote:
What I was looking at was found here, but seems to be abandoned for now.. https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/issues/489

It describes outputting the adsb traffic found on the stratux as Power flarm nema strings. If that can pump those into the 9000, then I can get an audio warning of traffic. Also, all traffic can show up in one place. I was considering another display for weather, but that is an occasional need, not persistent. I think I could do that painlessly on my phone over wifi when I wanted to see if I could get around a T-cell.

and yes, my adsb out is 2020 compliant.

Rick

Andy Blackburn was in involved in that one (against my better advice/pessimism). He is in that thread you linked to. You could ask him where this is at, and details about USA ADS-B interoperability etc., if he does not pop up here to reply.

But I'd not get too excited. Getting an ADS-B traffic target at all and then having actual FLARM like warning behaviors from it consistent with how FLARM would actually handle that same ADS-B target, let alone a FLARM target, are two different things. And then how do targets get deduplicated? (well OK you start by using a UAT only receiver.. but what about TIS-B over UAT. Do you just drop them or do you want that instead of PCAS, etc.). Engineering a proper integrated systems is non-trivial.

So back to Foreflight etc... as your real option today (and you'll turn off the traffic audio warnings on that pretty darn quickly if flying near other gliders).

Or since you have 2020 Complaint ADS-B Out (would also work with TABS, but not SIL=0/non-complaint ADS-B Out) then upgrading PowerFLARM to the LXNav PowerMouse (when it's available in the USA) will at least get you visibility of UAT targets via ADS-R. But that will only work within ADS-B ground station coverage. In that case make sure that the ADS-B Out system setup specifies your glider has ADS-B In on 1090ES.... and check that when you pull a FAA ADS-B flight report it shows that correctly configured.

For folks who really want integrated traffic, I suspect the PowerMouse will be a best option. Maybe with a separate display like Foreflight for WX/TFR and to maybe see if there is UAT stuff being missed.