Old September 29th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Is every touchdown a stall?

Mxsmanic wrote:

You know, you might go out and get a book on actual flying (like
Stick and Rudder by Langewiesche or Kirschner's Student Pilot Manual)
rather than basing your entire view of aerodynamics on how a game
behaves.

Listening to the radio transmissions of a VFR pilot who had a panic
attack in a cloud of IMC, I heard him mention to a controller that
"the stall horn goes off every time I land."

The stall horn goes off BEFORE the stall. That's it's whole point.
It's a stall WARNING horn.

I thought that was
bizarre. Is a touchdown supposed to be a stall?

Most light aircraft are touched down as close to a stall
as you can manage. The idea is to bring the nose up until
the lift peters out about the time the wheels touch.

My stall horn
doesn't sound on landing.

You need a better simulator.

If the aircraft stalls, you lose control of it right above
the runway.

Stalling is NOT lost of control. You certainly can control
an aircraft in a stall. If you couldn't you would never be
able to recover. A stall is the breakdown in lift that occurs
when the angle of attach exceeds a critical angle. The airplane
is still flying, controllable, and even producing some lift during
a stall.

You can't pitch down to pick up speed and restore lift,

That's the whole point. You need neither speed nor lift at this
point. The idea is to land with the minimum energy. The wheels
are on the ground so you don't need lift, and any excess speed you
have will just have to be bled off with the brakes. This means you
need more runway, which you might not have.

and the engines cannot speed up quickly enough to pull you out of the
stall, either.

Engines do not pull you out of a stall. Speed does not pull you out
of a stall. Getting the angle of attack below the critical angle
gets you out of a stall.

Unless you are inches above the runway, you come
banging down onto it, and in my case I've collapsed the gear many
times this way. So I figured that stalling on landing might not be
the way to do.

It's a good thing you aren't flying real airplanes. But the trick
in learning how to really land is getting close to that.

These days I try to stay above stall speed throughout the landing,
even during the flare.

Aircraft can stall at any speed.