View Single Post
Old September 21st 16, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Johnny Byrd (was: 30 Gone)

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 10:42:49 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
I towed behind that plane sometime in (I think 1994). I had flown down to West Palm to look at an LS4 for sale at Willis Gliderport. The seller had agreed to a test flight, but he hadn't made arrangements for a tow. Some hurried phone calling ensued, and pretty soon I heard what I thought was a semi-truck coming up the road. No, it was 30 in his towplane.

I can vouch for its performance - quick tow despite 90 degrees and 99% humidity. Afterward, we drove over to his house and got a tour of the hangar in his back yard. All sorts of toys including the Discus in trailer, a C180 (I think), and lots of other implements of destruction. He was incredibly nice to this relatively new competition pilot and shared a lot of interesting stories about his flying in the hour or so we spent.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:43:24 PM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:56:51 AM UTC-5, Vaughn Simon wrote:
On 9/19/2016 9:42 PM, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
So many stories.

I got to know John as we waited in a field in Vermont after, a rare for him, land out. His quiet manner and obvious deep skills impressed me as a guy to get to know better. He kicked our butts but didn't make us feel bad about it. He got more out of his Discus than anybody I ever saw.
The quiet friendly class that he and Ann showed was wonderful to all of us.
Good Finish 30
UH