Old August 9th 03, 02:21 PM
Pechs1

Lawrence- Some radars carried aboard fighters have the capability of ID-ing
an
enemy a/c simply from its radar-return. Hence it is considered safe to fire
from beyond visual range, which allows the avoidance of close-in
WWI-WWII-Korea dogfighting. BRBR

Sometimes...many friendly and foe A/C use the same engine, the basis of some
long range ID and it is not unusual for the good guys and bad guys to fly the
same A/C..Particularly after the fall of the Soviet Union...Flankers and
Fulcrums come to mind.

Nonetheless, most pilots desire to have some sort of reserve punch, just to
cover the odd case where missiles haven't done the job or have been
expended, and an opportunity to disengage successfully coud hinge on being
able to shoot your way out. BRBR

There hasn't been any actual swirling air battles for a while but if there is
another one, I don't think it will be an odd case at all..if the many v many
engagements I have seen in training is any indication...

Wandering around in a A-4, I was surprised how many really big fighters found
me in their rear view mirrors..
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)