Old July 5th 03, 04:14 PM
Pechs1

roncachamp- How much of the Earth's surface is out of range of land-based
aviation? How
much of the Earth's surface is out of range of carrier aviation? BRBR

Lots...center of Russia, lots of China...you aren't going to just wander around
in their airspace w/o their permision. BUT how many seaports can be threatened
by a CV that is already w/i 1000 NM of the country?? Compared to being
theatened by land based aviation of the US...

Has a runway ever been sunk? I seem to recall a few carriers have, that
would seem to indicate a 1000 ft runway that moves at 25 knots is indeed
more vulnerable than a 10,000 ft one that does not. BRBR

you are out to lunch...I seem to think of a runway and some aircraft in Hawaii
that were put out of action by some CVA based aircraft...I think they were
Japanese..

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)