Old April 23rd 05, 06:32 AM
Brenor Brophy

Agreed, PHPWeather does everything - so it is usually a lot more than anyone
needs. It is really made as a set of programming tools (classes really) that
you can pick and choose from to create your own weather application. For
example, I just use it to fetch the METAR and parse it into a form my own
code can easily use to determine if the conditions are VFR/MVFR/IFR/LIFR and
then color code the airport name and weather graphic I display on a radar
map. The 2.8M doesn't get downloaded - it stays on the web server (so the
size of teh script really doesn't matter - web hosting companies are not
that stingy on space anymore - at least they shouldn't be). The only thing
that gets downloaded is whatever the output of the script is - and this can
be very compact indeed.

-Brenor

Scott D. wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:02:23 GMT, "Brenor Brophy"
wrote:

For those that are interested a very well written piece of Open Source
software for decoding METARs is called PHPWeather and is available at
http://phpweather.sourceforge.net/. PHP is a script language that runs on
web server and outputs HTML to your browser. As computer languages go, it
is
not very intimidating to anyone with basic programming skills.

A buddy of mine wrote a simple PHP script that does the same thing
except it creates an image file for the output on the web site. I now
use it on my web site for my students to show the current METAR for
COS and PUB. The biggest difference between his and PHPweather
(except for the HTML/Image difference) is PHPWeather is about 2.8 megs
large, where the one I use is only 2KB and the image that it creates
is about 500 bytes. Since I don't care about weather clear on the
other side of the world this works fine and all I have to do is pull
up my web site and its there. I don't have to select what airport I
want.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher