Old February 5th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Sam Spade

Default Glaze Ice

Mxsmanic wrote:
Sam Spade writes:

How many times have you operated jet transports into a place like
Chicago O'Hare (KORD) when ATC has you slowed down to 160 knots and
number 20 in line for the approach in light to moderate icing conditions?

I stay away from parts of the U.S. that have Siberian weather patterns. And I
avoid flying on commercial flights in poor weather, because I know that
airlines push the envelope.

Heavy icing conditions are quite unusual except during freezing rain or
sleet. No air carrier is allowed to operate in or out of an airport
reporting heaving freezing rain. Of course you knew that.

Yup. Then again, sometimes you find out about freezing rain by flying through
it.

How many encounters have you had with freezing rain?

Plenty, but it's never been heavy, which was not allowed. And, if it
was icing up the runway we went somewhere else. Often though, you would
fly out of it prior to the airport.