Old October 26th 03, 01:08 AM
Mark Navarre

Errors on the part of the winch driver may leave the glider pilot completely
"hung out to dry" with no risk whatsoever to the winch driver. During aerotow,
the tug pilot is not likely to make mistakes that might kill himself. The
incentive for a safe tow is thus higher for aerotow, because the tow pilot has
built-in accountability. I have driven the winch, and launched my glider by
tug, winch, and auto-tow. I prefer airtow over the other methods, but all can
be safe with proper training and pre-launch briefing.
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA