Old May 11th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Default Has anyone built their own landing gear?

On May 11, 4:20 am, Lou wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has either designed and built or built from
plans, their own
landing gear and how they did it. I know, I know, I could follow the
plans. But the plans call for a retractable gear system that I don't
want at this time. What I'm looking for is a oleo strut style with
brackets that attach to the spars. Anyone?
Anyone? Anyone?
Lou

First, the disclaimer: I have no personal experience building such a
gear.

The design and fabrication of an oleo-pneumatic landing gear is not,
IMHO, impossible for a dedicated homebuilder, but it looks pretty
challenging. Ladislao Pazmany wrote a book "Landing Gear Design for
Light Aircraft" that tells you how, and his Pl-1 and PL-2 designs have
plans for such a gear. Much welding and machining to a fairly high
standard is required.

http://www.pazmany.com/

Perhaps better you should visit an aircraft salvage yard and see if
anything from the main gear of a Piper Cherokee or the nose gear of
either a Piper or Cessna will work for your application.