Old December 12th 04, 03:28 AM
Bob C

Powered gliders ARE powered aircraft. Always have
been, always will be. Be careful not to confuse 'aircraft'
with 'airplane'. Gliders ARE aircraft, they are NOT
airplanes. This is a significant distinction, as gliders
are exempt from all regs that specify 'airplane'.
Read carefully, you'll be surprised at the things we
can get away with ;o)

Note that an oil pressure gauge is not required for
two-stroke engines (non-pressure oil system), temp
gauge is not required for air-cooled engines (non-liquid
cooled).

An interesting twist is the requirement for an oil
temp gauge for air-cooled engines. In the case of
a two-stroke/air-cooled (with premixed oil), I'm guessing
a thermometer in the fuel tank would surfice, or possibly
the cylinder temp guage. This is an obvious case of
FAA lack of foresight, but I don't know of anyone who
has been busted for failure to comply with this one.

Bob C.

At 17:00 11 December 2004, Btiz wrote:
a quick read tells me this only applies to 'standard'
certificated
aircraft.. not experimental.. how many powered gliders
have a standard
certificate?

and it only tells me you need to add basic engine monitoring
instruments,
depending on the type of engine installed.. tach, oil
temp, oil pressure,
etc.. plus a few other things.. required for VFR flight...

the way I've seen most gliders (motorgliders) configured..
they would meet
the requirements of 91.205, notice it says powered
aircraft.. not powered
airplane

BT

'Mark James Boyd' wrote in message
AC 21.17-2A, in the USA

'Powered gliders are considered to be powered aircraft
for the purpose of complying with 91.205.'

Interesting. Hadn't seen this in writing before.
--

Mark J. Boyd