Old March 22nd 04, 03:39 PM
TaxSrv

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote:
I'm not familar with the above group, but here in Seattle we have

group that lives next to KSEA (class B Seattle-Tacoma International)

which
constantly complains about the noise. Since no one is going to

close KSEA
to night operations or even consider reducing the number of

operations
they are out of luck.
Either way local governments should not pass laws
to control airspace. Somethings should be handled at the federal

level,
others at the state level, and others at the local level.

May be more than academic interest that where an airport has air
carrier ops, fed law specifically reserves jurisdiction over noise
matters to the FAA. Otherwise, it's the thorny legal mess of whether
the federal preemption in general trumps, and I believe in general
courts won't object to reasonable restrictions. There's local
prohibitions against late-night student touch-goes and loud jets after
a certain time in a lot of places. Not that I agree, I believe here,
to the extent the issue is beyond citizens' selfish perception
problems, it may be the prolonged noise footprint rather than mere
decibels, compared to now and then in takeoff/landing ops but greater
peak db.

Fred F.