Old February 23rd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

Default ATC Handling of Low-Fuel American Flight

This was on my local news last night. I gotta wonder if the approach
controller told the local controller that there was an emergency
declared, it didn't appear on the video but my have been edited out.

Bottom line, the AA pilot owned the airport, he should have made a bee
line for 17 center and landed the plane. They were lucky that whatever
fuel issue they had didn't cause a disaster in the extra minutes flying
a pattern to the opposite runway.

I've had one emergency in my flying career and the tower we declared
with was great. Everyone got shooed out of the airspace or landed and
we owned the airport.. cleared to land any runway. They equipment was
waiting for us (which fortunately we didn't need) and other than giving
name/phone numbers that's the last we heard of it.

If you (any of you) have a serious doubt to the safe outcome of the
flight, don't be afraid to declare the emergency and do whatever it
takes to get yourself and your passengers safely on the ground.

Robert

Sam Spade wrote:
http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/Vi...2817&catId=104