Old May 11th 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I don't usually drain them. I switch to the backup if I'm on a long flight or it's cold. Rarely does the main batt go low enough to get the "low battery" warning blinking (11.2v). They don't cost that much more than the standard-size SLA battery. And they probably last 3 years on average, IIRC. I haven't done any testing nor do I write a date on them when installed. I just usually replace them when I have to start going to the backup on long flights.

So I'm surprised that a relatively new battery (2 seasons?) hasn't performed that well in two flights this spring. The last time, I decided to stay with SLA because it had worked well enough in the past and was a lot cheaper. But now that I'm facing replacement again so soon, I'm reconsidering.

Chip Bearden