Old January 3rd 05, 03:07 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

"Darrell Criswell" wrote in message
How important is the rudder to making Flight Simulator a realistic
experience. I want to use MS FS to assist me in taking flying
lessons. I wonder if the rudder will make the training more realistic
or does it really matter.

Thanks

If I can respectfully offer you some professional advice on the use of
MSFS in student flight training......
I advise MS on realism and immersion for the simulator, and I'm a
professional CFI as well.
I've pasted in below part of a research paper I did on this subject for
a general aviation interest.

Dudley Henriques wrote;

I've done considerable consulting on this issue for various interests in
the flight instruction community and have also worked with MS on the
simulator and various software developers as a realism, immersion, and
flight dynamics advisor.
My opinion, after doing considerable research on the issue concerning
the possible use of MSFS by new student pilots entering initial flight
training was that the sim should be totally avoided by new students
during the initial
stages of flight training before solo.

I'll agree with Dudley on this point. For a number of years I've been a fan
of MSFS (even had it when it was SubLogic). In February of 2004 I finished
up my private pilot training (at 63.6 hrs). I too thought MSFS would be a
handy tool in my training. I was wrong. VFR flying means looking out the
window, something difficult to do with the sim. Unless you have a very high
end computer you won't get fluid enough performance from the sim. While
good, MSFS is not immersive enough for training.
What is it good for? It is very good for learning the instruments, what
they do and their functions. It is very good for helping to understand VOR
and ADF use, and to some degree GPS use.
Personally, prior to solo I would stay away from it. After solo it can be
used to help out on your cross countries. You can actually plot the course
you want to fly. I found it great for "flying" to a new airport before
doing it in real life. Sure you can get a diagram of the airport from the
AOPA directory or a current AFD, but MSFS excels in it's details of most
airports.
It can be used as a tool but I'd recomend using it AFTER you solo.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."