Old June 8th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Shoulder strap discussion

On Jun 8, 11:32*am, Andy wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:27*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

On Jun 8, 6:36*am, bildan wrote:

A couple of years ago I got hammered in a wave rotor while flying a
G102. *No matter how tight the shoulder straps, my head kept banging
into the canopy. *This is a big enough problem that some glider owners
are re-locating the shoulder strap anchors lower. I think modifying
the seat belt/shoulder harness is a primary structure issue requiring
337 field modification paperwork in most countries. *There's got to be
a better way.

This issue came up again recently which led me to some "out-of-the-
box" thinking which is the reason for this thread.

What if one had inverted "U" shaped, detachable shoulder pad(s) that
snapped or Velcro'd to the shoulder straps or maybe the parachute
harness? *They would come in various sizes to fit different pilots.
In effect, these would raise the pilots shoulders with pads instead of
lowering the strap attachment points. * The pads would press down on
the pilots shoulders as the straps were tightened preventing canopy
head banging. *These pads would be 'personal gear' and not require a
337.

Do these things already exist? *Discussion?

I have the same issue with my Speed Astir. *No matter how tight the
lap and shoulder belts are, my head bashes the canopy with every
strong bump. *In 2006, I bashed the canpy OFF the glider. *That was
exciting. *I've also considered rigid foam pads atop my shoulders. *If
you try it, please post up how well it works.
Thanks

If you make them tall enough they'll touch the canopy before your head
does.

Even shorter ones might restrict your ability to look left and right
by the time you get them tall enough to meaningfully change the strap
angle. I would think given the forces involved there'd be some risk
that they'd rotate out of position or flop over sideways - depending
on how tall they need to be - or the u-pad would need to have a
skeleton of some kind that is quite stiff. Also, having the seatback
adjusted aft helps the angle of the straps on many ships - *just
remember to adjust the rudder pedals back too.

I try to strap in with my head low enough that the lap belt is
sufficient to keep me clear - taller pilots in shorter gliders don't
have the same option.

9B

I think they only have to be higher than the strap attach points to
produce considerable downforce.