Old June 8th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Shoulder strap discussion

On Jun 8, 1:03*pm, bildan wrote:
Keep in mind that cockpit/belt 'fit' differs widely with pilot
physique. *4-point belts which works great for one pilot may be
problematic for another. *5/6 point belts work great for me and I like
them. *Unfortunately, they aren't fitted (or available) for all
gliders. *Even if they are available, it would involve a form 337 to
install them. *There are really no absolutes.

The shoulder pad idea is just to gain yet another option for smaller
pilots.

I took a look at my parachute and it already has thin shoulder pads on
the harness. *Unfortunately, they are rounded on top which makes the
shoulder belts tend to slide off. *I think I'll ask my rigger if
something could be done about that.

Running a crotch strap from the lap belt attachment points works very
well for me in a G102. No modifications to the structure was
required. Just added some webbing. I didn't even have to do any
permanant modifications to the lap belts. This might work for other
gliders, i don't know.

Todd
3S