Old April 15th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Suggestions for KVGT arrival

"Dane Spearing" wrote in message
In article gMN%f.31442$bm6.7948@fed1read04,
Sam Spade wrote:
Howard Nelson wrote:
Will be flying SF bay area to KVGT next week. Will arrive from the

west.
Haven't been into Las Vegas area in over 20 years but have heard it is

busy.
Any suggestions to keep it simple. Would I do better to file IFR to

North
Las Vegas or just come in VFR and deal with Las Vegas Approach.
Thanks in Advance]
Howard
C182P

I'd highly recommend that you plan your arrival during daylight. If you
have a good moving map with current airspace you can certainly avoid the
Class B and simply deal with KVGT tower.

I actually find Las Vegas approach to be very helpful. I've flown into
Las Vegas (all three airports: LAS, VGT, and HND) many many times, and
have *always* called up Las Vegas approach when arriving VFR. It's *busy*
airspace around there, and it pays to have that extra set of eyes looking
out for you and making sure you don't cross the approach paths of the

heavies.
I don't ever recall being denied a clearance into the Class B on approach.

I personally think that the Las Vegas approach controllers are some of the
best around, as they have bundles of experience in dealing with a wide

variety
of aircraft. They almost always ask if you're familiar, and if not, they
happily provide vectors and altitudes.

As Las Vegas usually has very good weather, I would recommend going in VFR
and contacting approach about 40 miles out.

-- Dane

Thank you for helpful answer. Will go VFR and ask for vectors.

Howard